Deliverables of intellectual efforts are the most valuable part of the capital of innovation relations subjects, and in practice the contracts for disposal of intellectual property rights have a special role to play. This necessitates a scientific research into contracts in the IT sector with a focus on the objects of intellectual property rights. The goal of the article is to make a theoretical analysis of contracts for disposal of intellectual property rights in the IT-sector; to review the two groups of contracts through which relations in the IT-sector are regulated, the first of them comprising the contracts for making and use of computer programs, and the second one – contracts relating to nondisclosure of a trade secret as a type of confidential information. Based on relevant USA case law and practical examples, the author demonstrates the need for introducing into Ukrainian legislation the main legal trends and traditions existing in the well-developed countries. The article also analyzes the national laws of Ukraine and international provisions and regulations governing the contractual relations in the IT-sector. The author arrives at the conclusion that currently there is a need to recognize and adapt the Ukrainian legislation and practice to the traditions of contractual regulation of relations in this area, which have been established in economically well-developed countries, through simplification of contractual mechanisms used in the process of documental recording of the contents of relations; through a thorough study of a trade secret, with its terms of protection and contractual use being a decisive factor of economic development in the IT-sector.
List of legal documents
1. Bernska konventsiia pro okhoronu literaturnykh i khudozhnikh tvoriv (Paryzkyi akt vid 24 lypnia 1971 r., zminenyi 2 zhovtnia 1979 r.) [Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Paris Act of July 24, 1971, amended on 2 October 1979)] URL: http://zakon0.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_051(accessed: 25.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
2. Dyrektyva Rady Yevropeiskoho spivtovarystva pro pravovu okhoronu kompiuternykh prohram (91/250/YeES) [Council Directive of the European Community on Legal Protection of Computer Programs] vid 14 travnia 1991 r. URL: http://zakon2.rada.gov. ua/laws/show/994_065 (accessed: 25.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
3. Pro avtorske pravo ta sumizhni prava [On Copyright and Related Rights]: Zakon Ukrainy [Law of Ukraine] vid 23 hrudnia 1993 r. № 3792-XII. URL: http://zakon2.rada. gov.ua/laws/show/3792-12 (accessed: 23.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
4. Pro perelik vidomostei, shcho ne stanovliat komertsiinoi taiemnytsi [On the List of Information not Regarded as the Trade Secret]: postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy [Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine] vid 9 serpnia 1993 r. № 611. URL: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/611-93-%D0%BF (дата звернення: 28.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
5. Pro vnesennia zmin do deiakykh zakonodavchykh aktiv shchodo vrehuliuvannia pytan avtorskoho prava i sumizhnykh prav [On Amendments to Some Acts of Legislation Concerning the Harmonization of Issues of Copyright and Related Rights]: proekt Zakonu Ukrainy [Draft Law of Ukraine] vid 26 veresnia 2017 r. URL: http://www.me.gov.ua/Documents/Detail?lang=uk-UA&id=732fbde6-d449-4e6a- 88e8- 4d817e4bc241&title=ProektZakonuUkrainiproVnesenniaZminDoDeiakikhZa konodavchikhAktivSchodoVreguliuvanniaPitanAvtorskogoPravaISumizhnikhPrav (accessed: 27.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
6. Pro zastosuvannia sudamy norm zakonodavstva u spravakh pro zakhyst avtorskoho prava i sumizhnykh prav [On the Application by Courts of the Legislative Provisions in Cases for the Protection of Copyright and Related Rights]: postanova Plenumu Verkhovnoho Sudu Ukrainy [Decree of the Plenum of the Supreme Court of Ukraine] vid 4 chervnia 2010 r. № 5. URL: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/v0005700-10 (accessed: 26.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
7. Tsyvilnyi kodeks Ukrainy [The Civil Code of Ukraine]: Zakon Ukrainy [Law of Ukraine] vid 16 sichnia 2003 r. № 435-IV. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. 2003. №№ 40–44. St. 356 (in Ukrainian).
8. Uhoda pro torhovelni aspekty prav intelektualnoi vlasnosti [Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights] vid 15 kvitnia 1994 r. URL: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/981_018 (accessed: 28.11.2017) (in Ukrainian).
9. Ghosh S and others, Intellectual Property: Private Rights, the Public Interest, and the Regulation of Creative Activity (American Casebook Series) (Thomson/West 2007) (in English).
10. Milgrim M R and Bensen E E, Milgrim on Trade Secrets (Matthew Bender 2011) (in English).
11. Kapitsa Yu ta Stupak S ta Zhuvaka O, Avtorske pravo i sumizhni prava v Yevropi [Copyright and Related Rights in Europe] (Lohos 2012) (in Ukrainian).
12. Zhylinkova O, Dohovirne rehuliuvannia vidnosyn shchodo intelektualnoi vlasnosti v Ukraini ta za kordonom [Contractual Regulation of Intellectual Property Relations in Ukraine and Abroad] (Yurinkom Inter 2015) (in Ukrainian).
13. Androshchuk H, ‘Zakhyst komertsiinoi taiemnytsi v SShA: protydiia ekonomichnomu shpyhunstvu’ [‘Trade Secret Protection in the United States: Combating Economic Espionage’] (2013) (9) 1 Nauka ta innovatsii 80 (in Ukrainian).
14. Brown E, ‘Web developer gave implied copyright license to clients; court awards summary judgment to defendants in infringement action’ (Internetcases, 5 April 2005) accessed 27 November 2017 (in English).
15. Ortynskaja M, ‘Kak uregulirovat’ otnoshenija avtorov s gosudarstvom i podtolknut’ razvitie ІT-industrii’ [‘How to Harmonize the Relations of Authors with the State and to Encourage the Development of IT-Industry’] Zakon i Biznes (Kiev, 21 Oktjabr’ 2017) accessed 26 November 2017 (in Russian).