The article studies the issues of ensuring the development of an efficient, independent judiciary of Ukraine. The author focuses on the underexamined concept of judicial stress, and on the need for support of moral norms on the part of law. The article proposes to entrench in the Ukrainian legislation the specific and detailed requirements and criteria which would allow providing a professional assessment of a judge’s ability to perform professional duties efficiently, given his/her professional and personal abilities, throughout the entire tenure, and this would facilitate an increase of confidence in the judiciary. The purpose of the article is to highlight the importance and relevance of a research into the legislative entrenchment of the moral and ethical bases of a judge’s professional activity in the course of ensuring the development of the efficient and independent judiciary of Ukraine. The profession of a judge is one of the most multicomponent and complex legal professions. In his/her professional activities, a judge uses many special personal qualities, skills and abilities which make up a respective system and comprise the structure of a judge’s personality, thus, on its part, forming and determining a judge’s creative potential and individual style of professional activity. Participants to the trial, as well as other persons present in the courtroom, undoubtedly feel a respective emotional impact, but it should also be noted that such participants of the process as a judge, prosecutor and defense lawyer experience the full burden of both moral and professional stress. Nervous overload is often exacerbated by a disturbance of the usual mode of life and decreased time available for personal rest, and all together this can lead to the development of emotional instability and may be manifested in a decreased communicative competence. The author concludes that it is advisable to note the complex nature of the issue of efficient “life” of the judiciary in Ukraine, given the existing issues amidst the judges themselves and inside of their environment. We should not forget that a judge is primarily a human being staying in a certain space and time, who is influenced, in particular, by social and financial factors. A judge may be subjected to pressure in any form, and in such a case the main thing is the ability to resist, to respond adequately, to have a real mechanism of protecting him-/herself and the family members. This issue should not be raised, so to speak, following the fact; it should be of a preventive nature. A person’s ability to withstand life and professional tension should be also checked at the time when the decision is made to appoint a candidate for the position of a judge and also as long as a judge exercises his/her professional authority. The level of people’s trust in the State power determines the level of society’s democratization, its attitude towards such concepts as patriotism, loyalty, unity around common national ideas and goals, aspiration to build a united and indivisible State which is able to guarantee its citizens well-being and prosperity.
List of legal documents
1. Pro sudoustrii i status suddiv [On the Judicial System and the Status of Judges]:
Zakon Ukrainy [the Law of Ukraine] vid 2 chervnia 2016 r. (Palyvoda A.V. 2016)
2. Abdulaev M, Teoriya gosudarstva i prava: uchebnik dlya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy
[Theory of State and Law: Textbook for Higher Education Institutions] (Finansovyy
kontrol’ 2004) (in Russian).
3. Chornobuk V, Etyka suddivskoho korpusu – neobkhidna umova zakhystu yednosti ta
nezalezhnosti sudovoi systemy Ukrainy [Ethics of the Judiciary – an Essential Requirement
for the Protection of Unity and Independence of the Judicial System of Ukraine] (Slovo
natsionalnoi shkoly suddiv Ukrainy 2013) (in Ukrainian).
4. Husariev S ta Tykhomyrov O, Yurydychna deontolohiia (Osnovy yurydychnoi diialnosti):
navchalnyi posibnyk [Legal Deontology (Fundamentals of Legal Activities): Teaching
Manual] (4-te vyd, Znannia 2010) (in Ukrainian).
5. Koblikov A, Yuridicheskaya etika: uchebnik dlya vuzov [Legal Ethics. Textbook for High
Schools] (NORMA-INFRA 1999) (in Russian).
6. Koni A, Ugolovnyy protsess: nravstvennye nachala [Criminal Process: Moral Fundamentals]
(Sovremennyy gumanitarnyy institut 2000) (in Russian).
7. Leko B, Yurydychna etyka: navchalnyi posibnyk [Legal Ethics: Teaching Manual] (Knyhy –
XXI 2008) (in Ukrainian).
8. Murad’yan E, Sudebnoe pravo [Judicial Law] (Yuridicheskiy tsentr Press 2007)
9. Romanov V, Yuridicheskaya psikhologiya: uchebnik [Legal Psychology: Textbook] (Yurist
1998) (in Russian).
10. Vechnye istiny na vechnoy latyni. De verbo in verbum. Latinskie izrecheniya [The Eternal
Truth in the Eternal Latin. De Verbo in Verbum. Latin Sayings] (Tsentropoligraf: OOO
“Plyus” 2000) (in Russian).
11. Averianov V ta Batanov O ta Baulin Yu ta in; Tatsii V ta Bytiak Yu ta Hroshevoi Yu
ta in (red), Konstytutsiia Ukrainy: Naukovo-praktychnyi komentar [The Constitution of
Ukraine: Scientific and Practical Commentary] (In Yure 2003) (in Ukrainian).
12. Ihnatovych O (red), Profesiina oriientatsiia: pidruchnyk [dlia studentiv] [Occupational
Guidance: Textbook] (Imeks-LTD 2014) (in Ukrainian).
13. Kivalov S (holov red), Aktualni problemy polityky: Zbirnyk naukovykh prats [Relevant
Issues of Politics: Collection of Scientific Works] (Feniks 2007) (in Ukrainian).
14. Nyzhnyk N (zah red), Orhany derzhavnoi vlady v Ukraini: struktura, funktsii i tendentsii
rozvytku: navchalnyi posibnyk [Public Authorities in Ukraine: Structure, Functions and
Development Trends: Teaching Manual] (NIChLAVA 2003) (in Ukrainian).
15. Shemshuchenko Yu ta Zaichuk O ta Kopylenko O ta in; Zaichuka O ta Onishchenko
N (red), Porivnialne pravoznavstvo (pravovi systemy svitu): monohrafiia [Comparative
Legal Studies (Legal Systems of the World): Monograph] (Parlamentske vydavnytstvo
2008) (in Ukrainian).
16. Zaichuk V ta Zaichuk O ta Kopylenko O ta in; Yatseniuk A (zah red), Putivnyk po
ukrainskomu zakonodavstvu [Guide to the Ukrainian Legislation] (Parlamentske
vydavnytstvo 2007) (in Ukrainian).
17. Maklakov V (otv red), Konstitutsionnoe pravo: slovar’ [Constitutional Law: Glossary]
(Yurist 2001) (in Russian).
18. Tarasova Yu, ‘Professional’nyy psikhologicheskiy otbor kandidatov na dolzhnosti
federal’nykh sudey’ [‘Professional Psychological Selection of Candidates for Federal
Judges’] (dis kand yurid nauk, 2005) (in Russian).
19. Alieva M, ‘“Nravstvennost”’ kak ob’ekt konstitutsionno-pravovoy zashchity’
[‘“Morality” as an Object of Protection under Constitutional Law’] (avtoref dis kand
yurid nauk, 2006) (in Russian).
20. ‘Ponyatie o professional’nom stresse’ v Elektronnyy uchebnik “Psikhologiya i pedagogtka”
[‘The Concept of Professional Stress. Electronic Textbook “Psychology and
lv/glava_07.htm> accessed 22 May 2018 (in Russian).
21. ‘Rozpochalosia kvalifikatsiine otsiniuvannia 999 diiuchykh suddiv’ [‘Qualification
Assessment of 999 Judges Underway’] <https://vkksu.gov.ua/ua/news/rozpotchalosiakwalifikacijnie-
ociniuwannia-999-diiutchich-suddiw> accessed 4 June 2018 (in Ukrainian).
22. Gogin A, ‘Nravstvennost’ kak ob’ekt konstitutsionnogo delikta’ [‘Morality as an Object
of Constitutional Tort’] <https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/nravstvennost-kak-obektkonstitutsionnogo-
delikta> accessed 2 July 2018 (in Russian).
23. Isakov G, ‘Moral’, pravo, politika v kontekste prav cheloveka’ [‘Morality, Law, Politics in
the Context of Human Rights’] <http://politics.ellib.org.ua/pages-7231.html> accessed
3 July 2018 (in Russian).
24. Salimzyanova R, ‘Nravstvennye nachala sudebnoy deyatel’nosti: istoriya i sovremennost’’
[‘Moral Fundamentals of Judicial Activity: History and Modernity’] <http://www.iuaj.
net/node/465> accessed 6 July 2018 (in Russian).
25. Sumarokov I, ‘Vliyanie ekstremal’nykh faktorov professional’noy deyatel’nosti na
psikhicheskoe i somaticheskoe zdorov’e sudey’ [‘Impact of Extreme Professional Activity
Factors on Mental and Somatic Health of Judges’] <http://www.dissercat.com/content/
ixzz2rgIGuiwO> accessed 20 July 2018 (in Russian).
26. Sycheva O, ‘Professional’naya etika v sudebnoy deyatel’nosti’ [‘Professional Ethics in
Judicial Activity’] <http://www.iuaj.net/node/1433> accessed 11 July 2018 (in Russian).