|Article title||Constitutional Democracy: Constitutional Values in the Discourse of Substantive and Procedural Democracy|
Doctor of Law, Professor, Director, Comparative Public Law and International Law Research Institute, Uzhhorod University (Uzhhorod, Ukraine) ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9551-1203 firstname.lastname@example.org
|Name of magazine||Legal journal «Law of Ukraine» (Ukrainian version)|
The article elaborates on constitutional democracy as a complex phenomenon which depends on the institutional capacity of the State and the situation with the rule of law against the background of development of socio-political institutions. This issue is viewed through the system of constitutional values – human dignity, freedom, human rights, and the rule of law as the fundamentals of modern constitutionalism.
Constitutional democracy allows overcoming the dilemma of constitutionalism as institutions and procedures for limiting power and democracy resting on the rule of the majority which is restricted by the rights of the minority. A step-up in the use of electronic (digital) democracy entails the need to protect personal data of individuals against possible abuses by public authorities. The fundamentals of constitutionalism set such a democratic governance order which takes into account the vertical and horizontal foundations of the Constitution ensuring the requirements of the appropriate democratic procedure and balancing the interests of majority and minority in a pluralistic society. Constitutional democracy rests upon an institutionally strong State capable of methodically and consistently implementing its decisions which should meet the democratic legitimacy criteria and be underlain by respect for human dignity. The situation with the rule of law against the background of development of sociopolitical institutions also has an impact on the level of constitutional democracy, since its standards are crucial for ensuring a balance of interests. The author concludes that national sovereignty is a combination of political sovereignty embodied in the vote of the people and juridical sovereignty which is exercised through decision-making by the authorized legislature, where the Parliament is bound by decisions of the popular vote, and which should ensure the implementation of these decisions in a certain way.
|Keywords||the rule of law; democracy; protection of the Constitution; institutional capacity of the State; constitutional democracy; constitutionalism; substantive democracy; national sovereignty; human rights; procedural democracy|
1. Dicey A, Introduction to the Study of the Law the Constitution (Liberty Classics 1982) (in English).
2. Kommers D, The Constitutional Jurisprudence of the Federal Republic of Germany. (2nd ed, Duke University Press 1997) (in English).
3. Plowden E, Commentaries, or Reports (1816) (in English).
4. Poblet M and Casanovas P and Rodriguez-Doncel V, Linked Democracy. Foundations, Tools, and Applications (Springer Open 2019) (in English).
5. Spykman N, America’s Strategy in World Politics: The United States and Balance of Power (Archon Books 1970) (in English).
6. Sunstein C R, The Cost–Benefit State: The Future of Regulatory Protection (American Bar Acossiation 2002) (in English).
7. Beck U, Vlada i kontrvlada u dobu hlobalizatsii. Nova svitova ekonomichna ekonomia [Power and Counter-Power in the Era of Globalization. The New World Political Economy] (Nika-Centr 2015) (in Ukrainian).
8. Beneton F, Vvedeniye v politicheskuyu nauku [Introduction to Political Science] (Izd-vo Ves’ mir 2002) (in Russian).
9. Bzhezinsky Z, Stratehichne bachennia: Ameryka i kryza hlobalnoi vlady [Strategic Vision: America and the Crisis of Global Power] (Litopys 2012) (in Ukrainian).
10. Fukuyama F, Politychnyi poriadok i politychnyi zanepad. Vid promyslovoi revoliutsii do hlobalnoi demokratii [The Political Order and Political Decay: From Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy] (Nash Format 2019) (in Ukrainian).
11. Fukuyama F, Vytoky politychnoho poriadku. Vid pradavnikh chasiv do Frantsuzkoi revoliutsii [The Origins of Political Order: From Ancient Time to the French Revolution](Nash Format 2018) (in Ukrainian).
12. Grigoryan L, Narodovlastiye v SSSR [People’s Power in the USSR] (Yuridicheskaya literatura 1972) (in Russian).
13. Kabyshev V, Narodovlastiye razvitogo sotsializma [People’s Power of Developed Socialism] (Izd-vo Saratovskogo universiteta 1979) (in Russian).
14. Sajo A, Samoogranicheniye vlasti (kratkiy kurs konstitutsionalizma) [Self-Limitation of Power (a Brief Course of Constitutionalism)] (Yurist 2001) (in Russian).
15. Savchyn M, Konstytutsionalizm i pryroda Konstytutsii [Constitutionalism and Nature of the Constitution] (Lira 2009) (in Ukrainian).
16. Savchyn M, Suchasni tendentsii konstytutsionalizmu v konteksti hlobalizatsii ta pravovoho pliuralizmu [Modern Constitutionalism Tendencies in Context of Globalization and Legal Pluralism] (RIK-U 2018) (in Ukrainian).
17. Shcherbanyuk O, Narodnyi suverenitet i realizatsiia vladnospromozhnosti demokratychnoi derzhavy [People Sovereignty and Realization Authority Capacity of Democratic state] (Logos 2013) (in Ukrainian).
18. Shevchuk S, Osnovy konstytutsiinoi yurysprudentsii [Basic of Constitutional Jurisprudence] (Ukrainskyi Centr Pravnychykh studiy 2001) (in Ukrainian).
19. Starosol’sky V, Pryntsyp bilshosti [Principle of the Majority] (Litopys 2018) (in Ukrainian).
Edited and translated books
20. Ebers G, ‘Die Verwaltungsund Verfassungsgerichtsbarkeit in Osterreich’ in Verfassung und Verwaltung in Theorie und Wirklichkeit. Festschrift für Wilhelm Laforet (München 1952) (in German). 21. Martinico G and Pollicino O (eds), The national judicial treatment of the ECHR and EU Laws: A Comparative Constitutional Perspective (Europa Law Publishing 2010) (in English).
22. Rosenberg M and Sajo A, The Oxford Handbook of the Comparative Constitutional Law (Oxford University Press 2010) (in English).
23. Turpin Co and Tompkins A, British Government and the Constitution (6th ed, Cambridge University Press 2007) (in English).
24. Aristotle, Polityka [Politics] (Kysliuk O per z davnohr, Osnovy 2000) (in Ukrainian).
25. Dahl R, Demokratia i ee kritiki (Il’in M per s angl, ROSSPEN 2003) (in Russian). 26. Locke J, Dva traktaty pro vriaduvannia [Two Treatises of Government] (Terekh O per z anhl, Osnovy 2004) (in Ukrainian).
27. Rowls J, Teoriia spravedlyvosti [Theory of Justice] (Mokrovolskyi O per, Osnovy 2001) (in Ukrainian).
28. Savchyn M (red) ta inshi, Uprovadzhennia detsentralizatsii publichnoi vlady v Ukraini: natsionalnyi i mizhnarodnyi aspekty [Implementation of Decentralization of Public Power in Ukraine: National and International Aspects] (TIMPANI 2015) (in Ukrainian).
29. Schmitt K, ‘Politicheskaya teologia. Chetyre glavy k ucheniyu o suverenitete’ [‘Political Theology. Four Chapters to the Doctrine of Sovereignty’] v Politicheskaya teologia [Political Theology] (KANON-press-C 2000) (in Russian).
30. Tyonis F, Spilnota ta suspil’stvo. Osnovni ponnyattya chystoi sotsiologii [Community and Society. Basic Concepts of Pure Sociology] (per z nim, Dukh i Litera 2005) (in Ukrainian).
31. Lijphart A, ‘Consociational Democracy’  2(2) World Politics (in English).
32. Loewenstein K, ‘Militant Democracy and Fundamental Rights’ (1937) 31 American Political Science Revue 417-32 (in English).
33. Mosler H, ‘The International Society as a Legal Community’ (1974) 140 Collected Courses of the Hague Academy of International Law (in English).
34. Bognandy A fon, ‘Demokratia, globalizatsia, budushchee mezhdunarodnogo prava: obshchiy obzor’ [‘Democracy and Constitutional Legitimacy: Issues of Theory and Practice’] (2014) 14 Digest publichogo i mezhdunarodnogo prava 177-181 (in Russian).
35. Butkevych V, ‘Vyklyky mizhnarodnomu pravu v umovakh hlobalizatsii svitu’ [‘The Challenges to the International Law in a Globalized World’] (2012) 3-4 Law of Ukraine 12-20 (in Ukrainian).
36. Lukianchikova L, ‘Problema narodovlastiya v sovetskoy politico-filosofskoy traditsiyi’ [‘The Issue of People’s Power in the Soviet Political and Philosophical Tradition’]  19(28) Vestnik Chelyabiskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seria: Pravo 45-9 (in Russian).
37. Sajo A, ‘Samozashchita konstitutsionnogo gosudarstva’ [‘Self-Protection of a Constitutional State’] (2004) 2 Konstitutsionnoye pravo: Vostochoyevropeyskoye obozreniye 3-12 (in Russian).
38. Savchyn M, ‘Demokratiia ta konstytutsiina lehitymnist: problemy teorii i praktyky’ [‘Democracy and Constitutional Legitimacy: Problems of Theory and Practices’] (2010) 22 Viche 21-4 (in Ukrainian).
39. Savchyn M, ‘Konstytutsiinyi Sud Ukrainy ta realizatsiia Konstytutsii Ukrainy’ [‘Constitutional Court of Ukraine and Realization of Constitution of Ukraine’] (2015) 1 Public Law 9-17 (in Ukrainian).