|Article title||The Impact of Penitentiary and Pre-Trial Detention Facilities on the Crime Situation in Ukraine|
Doctor of Law, Senior Researcher, Director of Аcademician Stashis Scientific Research Institute for the Study of Crime Problems of the National Academy of Law Sciences of Ukraine (Kharkiv, Ukraine) firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Law, Associate Professor (Odesa, Ukraine) email@example.com
|Name of magazine||Legal journal «Law of Ukraine» (Ukrainian version)|
It has long been noted that facilities of the penal correction system and pre-trial detention facilities have a considerable impact on the crime situation, including recidivism, in the regions where they are located. However, even to this day, the fact that these facilities are contributive to the emergence of a specific criminal background negatively affecting the crime situation in certain administrative territorial areas, is not confirmed by mathematical calculations and mapping methods.
The purpose of the article is to prove, by mathematical analysis with respective mapping, the interdependence of such parameters as penitentiary and pre-trial detention facilities, in particular, their number, on the one part, and the intensity of crime in general and its specific types in particular, on the other part, in the context of specific administrative territorial areas.
It is established that the correlation coefficient between the number of penitentiary facilities in a region and the total number of crimes committed is 0.98, and the correlation coefficient for recidivism crimes is 0.99. In other words, this indicator is approaching one, and this indicates stable relationship, as well as the presence of strong correlation dependence between these indicators. At the same time, the author concludes that the highest intensity of general crime and recidivism is recorded in the eastern, southern and central regions of Ukraine, and this correlates with a significant number of imprisonment facilities located particularly in these areas. It is emphasized that the revealed dependence becomes especially noticeable in the context of towns and districts of particular oblasts.
The article gives special consideration to the main links transmitting criminal infection in certain regions. These include, in particular, concentration of persons with criminal record who were released from facilities of imprisonment or restraint in areas where penitentiary facilities are located; criminal subculture as a material and spiritual substrate of criminal ideology; and establishment of illegal, “entrepreneurial” links between local population and penitentiary facilities. Furthermore, the author gives some arguments in favor of bringing back of the concept of a particularly dangerous recidivist to the Criminal Code of Ukraine, because only the inevitability of punishment and prolonged isolation of such persons can protect society from an ever-new criminal threat on their part and limit the influence they have on unstable members of society in the event when they are out of prison.
|Keywords||imprisonment facilities; intensity of crime; Pearson correlation coefficient; criminal subculture; particularly dangerous recidivist|
Authored books1. Mengel Hans-Joachim, Strafrechtliche Verfolgung homosexueller Handlungen in Deutschland nach 1945: Zur Rehabilitierung und Entschädigung der nach § 175 und 175a StGB wegen homosexueller Handlungen in der BRD und der DDR Verurteilten (Senatsverwaltung für Arbeit, Integration und Frauen 2012) (in German).
2. Babenko A, Zapobihannia zlochynnosti v rehionakh Ukrainy: kontseptualno-metodolohichnyi ta prakseolohichnyi vymir: monohrafiia [Crime Prevention in the Regions of Ukraine: Conceptual, Methodological and Praxeological Dimension: Monograph] (ODUVS 2014) (in Ukrainian).
3. Batyrhareieva V, Retsydyvna zlochynnist v Ukraini: sotsialno-pravovi ta kryminolohichni problemy [Recidivism in Ukraine: Socio-Legal and Criminological Problems] (Pravo 2009) (in Ukrainian).
4. Filonov V i Fedorenko D, Prestupnost’ v osobo krupnom promyshlennom gorode: sostojanie, prichiny i mery po ee preduprezhdeniju [Crime in a Particularly Large Industrial City: the State, Causes and Measures to Prevent It] (DIVD MVD Ukrainy 2002) (in Russian).
5. Hohrjakov G, Paradoksy tjur’my [Paradoxes of Prison] (Jurid lit 1991) (in Russian).
6. Holovkin B, Koryslyva nasylnytska zlochynnist v Ukraini: fenomen, determinatsiia, zapobihannia [Lucrative Violent Crime in Ukraine: Phenomenon, Determination, Prevention] (Pravo 2011) (in Ukrainian).
7. Malinovskij A, Sravnitel’noe pravovedenie v sfere ugolovnogo prava [Comparative Jurisprudence in the Field of Criminal Law] (Mezhdunar otnoshenija 2002) (in Russian).
8. Shakun V, Urbanizatsiia i zlochynnist [Urbanization and Crime] (Vyd Ukr akad vnutr sprav 1996) (in Ukrainian).
9. Tonkov E, Istorija odnoj tjur’my [History of One Prison] (Lema 2006) (in Russian).
Edited and translated books
10. Dolgova A (obshh red), Kriminologija: uchebnik [Criminology: Textbook] (INFRA-MNORMA 1997) (in Russian).
11. Jasaveev I (sost), Ot “strany tjurem” k obshhestvu s ogranichennym prichineniem boli: finskij opyt sokrashhenija chisla zakljuchennyh [From “the Country of Prisons” to a Society with Limited Pain: Finnish Experience of Decreasing the Number of Prisoners] (Nac issled In-t prav politiki 2012) (in Russian).
12. Kuznecova N, Ugolovnyj kodeks Shvejcarii [The Criminal Code of Switzerland] (per s nem, Zercalo 2000) (in Russian).
13. Nikitin Yu ta Denysov S ta Streltsov Ye (zah red), Kryminolohiia: pidruchnyk [Criminology: Textbook] (Pravo 2018) (in Ukrainian).
14. Blankenship Susan and Yanarella Ernest, ‘Prison Recruitment as a Policy Tool of Local Economic Development: A Critical Evaluation’  7(2) Contemporary Justice Review 183–98 (in English).
15. Hooks G, Mosher C, ‘Revisiting the Impact of Prison Building on Job Growth: Education, Incarceration and County-Level Employment, 1976–2004’  91(1) Social Science Quarterly 228–44 (in English).
16. Levitt S, ‘The Effect of Prison Population Size on Crime Rates: Evidence from Prison Overcrowding Litigation’ (1996) 111 Quarterly Journal of Economics 319–52 (in English).
17. Marvell T & Moody C, ‘Prison Population Growth and Crime Reduction’  10(2) Journal of Quantitative Criminology 109–40 (in English).
18. Rasheed A, ‘Impacts of Prisons in Rural Communities: Economic and Social Factors’ (2016) 168 University Honors Program Theses 1–64 (in English).
19. Babenko A, ‘Profilaktychni mozhlyvosti tradytsii ta zvychaiv u rehionalnii systemi zapobihannia zlochynnosti’ [‘Preventive Potential of Traditions and Customs in the Regional Crime Prevention System’]  4(55) Problemy pravoznavstva ta pravookhoronnoi diialnosti 71 (in Ukrainian).
20. Babenko A, ‘Terytorialno-prostorovyi analiz zlochynnosti u naselenykh punktakh Odeskoi oblasti’ [‘Territorial and Spatial Analysis of Crime in Localities of Odessa Oblast’]  2(9) Visnyk Asotsiatsii kryminalnoho prava Ukrainy 169-189 (in Ukrainian).
21. Batyrhareieva V, ‘Shchodo pidstav formuvannia novoho poniattia retsydyvu zlochyniv’ [‘About the Grounds for Forming a New Concept of Recidivism’]  4(35) Visnyk Akademii pravovykh nauk Ukrainy 195 (in Ukrainian).
22. Dzhansaraeva R, ‘Harakteristika prestuplenij, sovershaemyh v ispravitel’nyh uchrezhdenijah Respubliki Kazahstan’ [‘Characteristics of Crimes Committed in Penitentiary Facilities of the Republic of Kazakhstan’] (2005) 4 Ugolovnoe pravo 90 (in Russian).
23. Kopotun I, ‘Poniattia ta zmist operatyvnoi obstanovky u vypravnykh koloniiakh’ [‘The Concept and Content of the Operational Situation in Correctional Colonies’]  1(75) Naukovyi visnyk Dnipropetrovskoho derzhavnoho universytetu vnutrishnikh sprav 385–94 (in Ukrainian).
24. Suturin M, ‘Regional’noe izuchenie prestupnosti (teoreticheskie aspekty)’ [‘Regional Crime Research (Theoretical Aspects)’] (2008) 5 Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta 115 (in Russian).
25. Shul’ga V, ‘Osnovnye tendencii prestupnosti i ee preduprezhdenie v Dal’nevostochnom regione’ [‘Main Trends in Crime and Its Prevention in the Far East Region’] (avtoref dys kand yurid nauk, 1994) (in Russian).
26. Hazan L, ‘Pogibli yunost’ i talant v tvoih stenah…’ [‘Youth and Talent Perished Within Your Walls...’]  34(70) Bul’var Gordona 10, 11 (in Russian).
27. Shekita Nathan, ‘The Effect of Prison Populations on Crime Rates (Revisiting Steven Levitt’s Conclusions)’ (Department of Economics Pomona College, 2015) <http://economics-files.pomona.edu/GarySmith/Econ190/Econ190%202015/ Nathan%20Shekita.pdf> (accessed: 21.01.2020) (in English).
28. Kryminalno-vykonavcha systema Ukrainy v 2018 rotsi. Statystychnyi ohliad (dopovnenyi) (frahment dopovidi “Dotrymannia prav uv’iaznenykh v Ukraini v 2018 rotsi”) [The Penal Correction System of Ukraine in 2018. Statistical Review (Updated) (A Fragment of the Report “Observance of Prisoners’ Rights in Ukraine in 2018”)] <http://ukrprison.org.ua/articles/1551280200> (accessed: 21.01.2020) (in Ukrainian).